Crit Tuesday 3

Well, no more crits for the pasta branding brief! Today was the last one and, well, it was pretty interesting I suppose. After (eventually) stopping my legs and arms from shaking and turning to jelly, I got feedback from all three of the tutors (who in turn, have seen my work each week). Here goes:

  • Layout and rendering was to a professional standard, they liked how I had rotated the cylinder to show all aspects of the product
  • Windows and their sizing was great and didn't need to be altered
  • New text size and colour was much better and don't need to be changed
  • Worked extremely well as a brand and delivered a strong corporate image
However

  • Despite it being liked for the past two or three weeks and the tutor last week saying how well it worked, the name is no longer liked. It was seen as the weakest point of my product and the teacher who liked it so much last week now said it reminded him of a hair salon or brand of chocolates. It was suggested that I change it to something more pasta related or Italian which is exactly the thing I wanted to avoid with my brand as I wanted it to be different and approachable to those who feel put off by the Italian language. I wanted it to be a more generic brand name, like Heinz etc, and it ties in well with my brand values and potential marketing ideas. I thought Impression was short enough to be memorable and phonetically, sounded approachable and nice
What do I do?
I really like the name Impression but our next brief is (as I thought it would be) to market our brand and create media campaigns for the new product. Impression gives me potential to a lot of predictable catchphrases but also speaks for itself if I want to avoid them. However, if they don't like it now, I'm unsure if this will affect my grade on the next brief if I continue with it. It's such a pain as I was really excited about the new brief until they decided to no longer like the name!


What do you guys think to the name?

I NEED YOU OPINIONS
I am really stuck on what to do. At the moment, I can't think of any alternatives for a brand name but I'm not letting my liking of Impression to stop me from doing this. Please drop me a few comments on what you think to the name, any potential alternatives, whether I should change it or not etc. Any comments will be extremely appreciated guys!

3 comments:

  1. If you feel you can do well with this name for the next brief I see no reason why you shouldn't go ahead with the name 'Impression'. If they've liked it for the previous weeks then I think they're just being picky, your work must be that good they couldn't find anything to fault, so picked at something just to make it seem fair to other students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lianna,

    I saw you tweet about this and couldn't help having a look. Sounds to me like a classic case of "I love it!" one week, which then becomes "Hmm, I'm not so sure about it" the next week. This happened to me so much during uni. Those lecturers are such fickle people!

    Personally, I really like the name. It's short enough to be memorable, and it's a really bold word which comes with some great connotations. I love the fact that it's not trying to be all pretentious and "Italian" sounding.

    The packaging looks great by the way - really like the shape/size of those windows.

    The only thing I'm not sure about is the typography used in the logo - I assume it's supposed to look like it's either hand-drawn, or made from spaghetti. That's how it looks to me anyway - and either way it's supposed to look "bespoke" right? But, the 2 "s" characters in the middle of the word are identical, and it's obvious that it's been typed on a computer, which for me ruins the bespoke look. Maybe just tweak one of the s's so that they're slightly different?

    Good luck with the next part of your brief!

    Matt Young
    www.mymymy.biz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys and thanks Matt, I really hate how many times they seem to change their minds! Yeah the logo was meant to look hand-drawn and I see what you mean about the two 's'' (I lazily copied and pasted when I created the font on Illustrator like a nugget), I hadn't noticed that before so I shall sort that out!

    I had a look at your work, it's amazing! I went to the Muse Teignmouth gig too, took ages getting there from Sheffield but was well worth it! My poster looks boring in comparison to the one you made!

    ReplyDelete