Designer of the Week 8: Disney


My boyfriend was an absolute star last week and bought me a copy of the new remastered Beauty and the Beast on Blu Ray (giving him an excuse to play with his new toy of a blu ray player I reckon) and as well as re-living my youth, I really appreciated the detail and artwork of Disney. I'd totally forgotten about the main ballroom scene and how the cartoons are rendered upon a realistic background, making it so dream like and breath-taking. It was the second film that Disney had produced using computer animation production systems, with the first being The Rescuers Down Under (in terms of using CAPS for the entire film). This allowed the film makers to create a 3D situation in which the characters danced around in, standing out even more so in terms of being the only scene in this film where this technique was used and the significance and meaning of the scene itself.

Enough of Beauty and the Beast, I must admit I am a bigger fan of the older Disney hand-drawn films rather than the new Pixar generation. In my opinion, traditional cartoons and films are much more personal, with a lot more time and effort being put into them (especially with older films what took years to make).

Sleeping Beauty 1959
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 1937
Pinochio 1940
Cinderella 1950
Bambi 1942

It amazes me that some of these films were made before my Nan was even born, let alone my Mum! I love how much work has gone into every frame and the detail in each film. Do any of you guys have a favourite Disney film, either traditional like those above or something from the digital age? Drop a comment below and let me know. Mine's strange, my favourite is Beauty and the Beast but my favourite Disney princess (as I'm a bit girly) is Princess Aurora. So I kind of love Sleeping Beauty too haha!

I'm off now to have a go at twisting Channel 4's words, have a go yourself!

http://twist.channel4.com/words

No comments:

Post a Comment