Crit Tuesday

It's that day of the week again, crit day (obviously not a regular occurrence for you guys but from now on, I intend to keep you updated each week on how they go). Our session groups are so large we didn't really get that much time each today so feedback was pretty slim (and hard to hear, I've never known tables to be placed so far apart!). Anyways, as you know, I was going in today with a brand name, "Impression", rough ideas about my packaging and info on costs/manufacturing (see my blog from last Sunday and the following sketches).


(Please excuse poor quality of the scanned sketches - my scanner is pants and so are my drawing skills haha!)


Here's what I got back:

  • The idea of a pasta shaped window was better received than an embossing of pasta on the cylinder. People said it would allow them to see within and further identify the product (especially due to my desire to only have the window shape representing the pasta rather than the pasta type name being printed) and even though it wouldn't be as high class looking as the embossing in gold, it would work on a better level to those everyday shoppers who want a premium look without the price. Only negative was the idea that the name might not be as relevant in this case but the name still stands for other things so it wouldn't be lost. Do you agree?
  • Another suggestion was to have portion measurements inside of the tube rather than devising this on the side/back via a clear strip and printed measurements which the teacher thought would bring down the premium look. I'm a little unsure about this as surely you wouldn't be able to see the measurements deeper in the tube? What do you guys reckon?
  • The name 'Impression' went down rather well but seemed to get lost amongst the discussion. They liked how it tied in with the idea of an impression of pasta on the tube, the good impression the box creates, the positive impression it would have on the environment as it is completely recyclable and the impression it would make on your pocket due to its low price from manufacturing yet high quality look. A classmate commented that he could see it as a real, believable brand name which cheered me up a little :)
  • It was suggested that I should look into the positioning of the window and brand name (something which I'd intended to do anyway this week). After discussing the logistics of placing the window at the top (wouldn't see pasta for long), bottom (would affect stability of packaging) and central (how long would the pasta be behind it to be seen through it), the main two suggestions to be followed was placement either 3/4 up or down the packet. How does this sound?

Other than that, I didn't really get much back so I was left feeling a little unsure on what the teachers felt about the piece (other than one mentioning that it was a simple package shape, something which made me hmm a little but since when have you seen other pastas come in a tube, I'm being innovative in the most simple ways haha). So yeah, it's left me in a weird mood so some comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm gunna get to work on the logo pretty soon and now feel a little apprehensive of something simplistic, don't want this bringing my grade down but premium products generally deliver a clean, minimal look.

Anyway, enough of me moaning about pasta!

I finally got round to revamping my Twitter page last night! I promise I will eventually get round to designing this place all nice. Will probably be easier once I've finished my website (which I have yet to start, uh oh, pasta and the online brief has been getting in the way) which, by the way, I bought a domain for! I am now the proud and official owner of www.liannamaydesign.co.uk (wouldn't advise clicking on it yet though, there is nothing there...). At least that's some positive and exciting news, only cost me 7 quid for the next two years too, something I will definitely keep up!

Ooo, I have more news too (see, I shouldn't let pasta overtake all this other important stuff)! I heard back from Nicholas, the photographer who wants to work with me (see my Monday entry...you all must think I'm daft posting hyperlinks to blogs just below this but oh well!). He's sent over a tester image for me to play with, free reign. Ahh free reign, something which I thought was great until I saw it. Don't wanna give too much away but it is practically an outline of a female head and neck looking to the sky (which is pretty white). I have no clue what to do. Initial thoughts is to play with curves and get rid of the background completely. But then where from there? Add text? Brushes? Colours? Eek! If anyone has any good ideas or sources of inspiration, drop us a comment, I reaaallllly want to set up this job so I need to impress!

Wow, lots of info for you guys there! Whilst you mull through it (and comment *wink*), I'm off to make myself some tea (the Yorkshire word for dinner/evening meal in case you didn't know hehe). I'm thinking something really classy and tasty......chips and eggs it shall be!

No comments:

Post a Comment